I think we can all agree health & wellness is super hot right now- as it should be! Going to a workout with friends and a juice bar after is almost more popular than going out to Old Town...at least in my world it is, haha.
I've been in a world of wellness for as long as I can remember. Growing up my mom was WAY ahead of everyone with this whole organic, gluten free, non GMO lifestyle. I remember going grocery shopping when I was younger and only being able to pick out food from the very small organic section in Safeway but was allowed to go crazy in Wild Oats (now known as Whole Foods).
My mom was strict when it came to buying foods....one time I picked up a bag of Lays "All Natural" blue corn tortilla chips and quickly learned that all natural is not synonymous with organic. Safe to say those chips did not make it in our cart!
I remember being frustrated with my mom for choosing to eat this way and never understood why we couldn't buy normal food like everyone else. Honestly, it sucked being known as the friend with "NOTHING to eat" in her house. I had lots of food just not the kind everyone was eating at the time!
Now, I feel very lucky to have grown up in a household where healthy foods were always available. THANK YOU MAMA RAY! Once I got a little older I started reading more into this lifestyle and doing research for myself. I realized my mom was RIGHT (aren't they always though?) and started to accept and adapt to my now healthy lifestyle.
So many people complain that it's expensive and hard but I'm here to tell you if you do it correctly...IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE! You don't have to make a complete switch in your lifestyle right away but making small, simple changes will make all the difference.
So kicking off this series of Simple Ways to Wellness, I present to you my Fab 4 Smoothie inspired by Kelly LeVeque or Be Well By Kelly. If you don't follow her, go grab your phone, open Instagram and do it right now! She posts so many easy, simple recipes all following her "Fab 4" concept.
The "Fab 4" concept breaks down to these four categories: greens, protein, healthy fats and fiber. I'm no nutritionist but Kelly is and she explains all the science and research behind it in her new book, Body Love. Definitely a book worth reading!
I make this shake every single morning and it literally keeps me full until like 1:30PM. Which was UNHEARD of for me before I started this. I used to start my mornings with an egg, brown rice toast and half an avocado (sometimes I still do) and it would only keep me full for maybe two hours...I was always hungry!
In the past couple months of doing this I start my day energized and I swear my skin is glowing, my hair is growing and I just feel so. damn. good!! I've started making these for Sam in the mornings and even he approves! I promise after a week of doing this you will be hooked.
Here's the recipe to try for yourself!
- 1 cup Almond Milk (I LOVE Califia Farms!)
- 1-2 tbsp of Coconut Oil or Brain Octane- which is basically liquid Adderall minus the nasty chemicals! Make sure you read the instructions when using this....start with a smaller dosage and work your way up to the recommended amount!
- 2 tbsp of Chia Seeds or any other source of fiber
- 1 tsp of Matcha powder (I only add this if I want some extra energy!)
- 1 big handful of organic greens
- 1 scoop of protein powder- PLEASE do research on your protein powders! I'm not saying this is the best one out there but there are so many with awful ingredients so make sure you do your own research!
- 1 tsp of Maca powder- this has amazing benefits such as naturally balancing hormones, increased energy, improved skin & hair, etc!
- 1 scoop of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (optional but the benefits are so worth it! I'll do a whole post on this soon!)
- 1 tbsp of raw almond butter
- Handful of ice
Blend together & enjoy!! If you try it please let me know your thoughts in the comments below!
Califia Farms Almond Milk, Bulletproof Brain Octane, Nutiva Chia Seeds, Kenko Organic Matcha Powder, Organic Girl Super Greens, Sunwarrior Chocolate Protein, Viva Maca Powder, Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides